Challenges and Opportunities Facing Entrepreneurs of Color
Friday, September 27 2019, 1:00pm – 2:00pm EDT
This event has passed
Business ownership has long been a path to asset building and economic mobility. Not only does it offer the opportunity to improve the financial security of individual entrepreneurs, it also serves as a gateway to individual and community wealth building.
Unfortunately, though business ownership is a fundamental engine for wealth creation, entrepreneurs of color face several challenges that make it more difficult to leverage business ownership into an asset that leads to long-term financial security. Among other issues, these challenges include lower average business value, unmet financing needs, lack of culturally competent small business services, unequal access to sound financial advice and long-term business planning support. In addition, many of these entrepreneurs are also facing growing pressures that come with rapidly changing neighborhoods and local areas.
Given the important role small business ownership can play in creating economic prosperity, how are service providers on the ground working to support entrepreneurs of color? What other challenges are these entrepreneurs facing? And what can be done to both support entrepreneurs of color who are facing gentrification and displacement pressures today, and may be seeking to pass along their businesses to the next generation tomorrow?
Join members of the Asset Building Policy Network— Citi, NALCAB, National CAPACD and Prosperity Now—on Friday, September 27, 2019 from 1-2:00 p.m. ET for a webinar where we’ll highlight new research focused on these questions, as well as best practices and supports being implemented to help entrepreneurs of color.
This webinar is free, but advanced registration is required—so register today!
**Unable to attend the live event? Register anyway so we can share the recording with you via email after the webinar concludes.*
- Christina Corea, Citi
- Manuel Ochoa, The National Association for Latino Community Asset Builders (NALCAB)
- Seema Agnani, National CAPACD
- Emanuel Nieves, Prosperity Now
- Challenges and Opportunities Facing Entrepreneurs of Color (Recording)
- Challenges and Opportunities Facing Entrepreneurs of Color (Slides)
- National CAPACD: Small Business, Big Dreams
- NALCAB: Addressing Commercial Gentrification in Miami
- The Democracy Collaborative: Strategies for Financing the Inclusive Economy
- Capital Impact Partners: CO-OP Conversions At Scale: A Market Assessment for Expanding Worker Co-op Conversions in Key Regions
- Democracy at Work Institute: Legacy Business: Our Opportunity to Build Wealth, Economy, and Culture